Pages

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Madd Style Cosmetics: Purple and Green!

Hi All!

A lovely fan and member of the Madd Style Cosmetics FB Fan Page is getting married in March and her wedding colours are purple and green.  She asked for some looks using the two colours and this is what I came up with!  (I don't have any experience whatsoever with "wedding makeup", so be warned!!)

In natural light with a pair of half false lashes added (because weddings are a perfect reason for false lashes, right??).


Here it is in natural light and without lashes.

If you'd like to find out how I created the look, then please keep on reading.  :)

First, gather all of the supplies!

Here we've got some Gabriel Color Mascara in "Black", NYX Eyeshadow Base in "White", Madd Style Cosmetics "Optimus Primer", Urban Decay 24/7 Pencil in "Zero", Korres Eye Kohl in "White", Madd Style Cosmetics Piggies (clock wise from the top left: Wibbley Wobbly Time Wimey, Amethyst, Atomic Dreamland, Soylent Green, Birfday Suit, Beauty School Dropout and Madd Tea Party), a fluffy blending brush, a flat shade brush, a pencil brush, a short shader brush and two angled liner brushes.

As always, you want to start out with a clean eye.


Then, you want to apply your primer.  Primers will help the even out the surface of your eye to create an even blank canvas for the shadows to stick to.  Primer also help to prevent unseemly creasing!  Here I am using Madd Style Cosmetics's "Optimus Primer".  After I've applied this much to the lid, I use my ring finger to blend it out all over the lid, up into the crease, and lastly up toward the brow area.  I also use whatever product is left on my finger and run it along the lower lash line and in the inner tear duct area.


Next it's time for a base.  Here I am using NYX Eyeshadow Base in "White" and applying that similar to how I did with the primer.  I focused the bulk of the product on the lid itself and then blended it up into the crease and just very lightly under the brow.  You'll notice that I didn't use an awful lot of product here.  You don't need much.  Adding a white base under your shadows will help them to appear brighter and because this base is a bit sticky it also makes the colours a bit more opaque since they have something to really grab on to.


Here is what the lid looks like after everything in the priming and base stage has been blended out.


To start out with colour--I took a fairly large fluffy brush (this is the E40 from the Mrs. Bunny set by Sigma) and dipped it into MSC's "Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey" (a super pretty purple that leans a bit blue).  I applied this colour into the crease using a wind-shield wiper motion.  I focused the most of the colour on the outer portion of the crease and then "fading" it in as I went in toward the inner eye.  


I promise that even though this looks kinda scary...


When my eye is open, it's way less scary!  :)  Because there are going to be colours applied to the lid and blended up into the crease colour, it didn't need to be applied too neatly on that bottom edge.  But you want to make sure you don't take it up higher than you're comfortable with.  There will be a chance to buffer that colour down if it gets too high later on with the brow highlight step.


Next, using a flat shader brush (#008 by Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics) dip it into MSC's "Amethyst" (this particular colour has been discontinued, so you can use whatever shimmery deep purple you prefer).  Make sure to swirl your brush into the lid of the pigment before applying anything on your eye--this colour has big purple glitter in it that is very prone to fall-out!  Focus this colour on the outer 1/3rd of the lid.  By flipping the brush on its side (as you see below), you can make sure to create the shape that you want at the outer corner of your eye.


Using the same brush (just wipe it off on some clean tissue paper), dip it into MSC's "Atomic Dreamland" (an amazing taupe-ish silver) and apply this to the rest of the lid.  To blend Atomic Dreamland with Amethyst, put a bit extra Atomic Dreamland on your brush and "pull" the colour over the line that divides the two colours.  You may need to go back into Amethyst and pull it back the other way over the line until you've achieved the level of blending that you desire.  You also want to blend Atomic Dreamland up into the Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey just a bit.  Do this enough just so that there isn't a stark line between the two colours.


At this point, this is what things are looking like.


I decided that I wanted to define the outer crease a bit more with some black--so that's what I did!  I grabbed a pencil brush (Sigma's E30) and dipped it into MSC's "Madd Tea Party" (a nice black with rainbow coloured sparkle).  I applied this colour just to the outer part of the deepest part of my crease.  I didn't apply too much black here, just enough so that I could blend it out and create more depth in the crease (I didn't apply the black farther in than my pupil).


I then took that same super fluffy brush and used that to blend out the black.  


Now--to blend out that crease colour a bit, I switched to a short shader brush by OCC (#006) and dipped it into MSC's "Birfday Suit" (a colour that is essentially my skin colour).  Here I focused on softening the top edge of Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey by pulling Birfday Suit down into that top edge and then "flicking" the colour up and back up toward the brow.  I also took a bit of this colour down around the outer edge to clean up that line and also into the inner part of the eye to help soften that a bit more.


Next I took a white eyeliner pencil and lined my lower lash line and tear duct.  This will serve as the base for the lower lash line colours as well as the duct highlight.


Taking an angled brush (I don't remember what brand this one is!  It's a no-name brush) I dipped it into MSC's "Beauty School Dropout" (a super awesome white with gold and silver sparkles) and pressed the colour into the inner "v" of the tear duct.  I blended this color up a bit with that angled brush into the inner part of the lid/crease and also a bit down along the inner part of the lower lash line.


While I had this brush out and was already playing with the white, I decided to apply it under the very highest part of my eyebrow as well--for a little extra kick of highlight action!


Then I switched back to that same short shader brush that I used to apply Birfday Suit and I blended this white colour out a bit so it wasn't quite so BAM WHITE!


Then for the green!  Using another angled brush (this is the E65 by Sigma) I dipped it into MSC's "Soylent Green" (a light/medium green with a heavy gold shimmer) and pressed that into the first half of the lower lash line.  Blend this colour so there is a smooth transition from the white to the green.


Clean off this same angled brush and dip it into the "Madd Tea Party" that was used earlier.  Apply this to the remaining lower lash line and make sure there is a smooth gradient from the green to the black.  Because this black is being put over a white base it doesn't come out a dark black.  If you want it to be stronger, apply a black eyeliner pencil to the outer third of your lower lash line to accomplish that.


For the upper lid liner you can just apply your favorite liquid liner.  Here I decided to wet that same angled brush with some water and dipped it into Madd Tea Party for a glittery black liner that I applied with a small wing.


I was left with something like this.


To finish up I applied some mascara to the upper and lower lashes.  Then I also lined the lower waterline with a white pencil and set it with some Birfday Suit to tone down the white.  I also tightlined the upper waterline with a black pencil.  Here's the final look:

It's amazing what the liner and mascara does for a look, huh?!  It really helps to pull the whole thing together, I think!  :)

And here are both eyes at the same time!


The end!  I hope you enjoyed this tutorial and even if you don't use it for a wedding...I hope it will be a fun look no matter what the occasion!  :)

As always--I'm open to suggestions or requests of future tutorials anyone would like to see.  Requests are fun!!

Thanks for stopping by!

4 comments:

  1. I do love it thank you for taking the time to do this pictorial!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very welcome, my dear! I'm glad to hear that you like it! Yay! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tutorial!!! And the colours together are amazing, such a great pick! I really like that golden pink (maybe) applied on the lid and it goes so well with the light green under the bottom lashes!!
    And hey, what are those brushes from!?!?! Phlox and i are so keen on getting some new brushes, especially synthetic ones and you must be the best to ask when it comes to that!!! Bought on internet too???/Azure

    ReplyDelete
  4. :) The lid colour is one of my favorites by Madd Style Cosmetics. It's hard to describe. I "file" it with my silvers even though it has a cast of brown (maybe pink?) and then fun purple glitter/sparkle as well. The green was a gamble and I know that the woman who requested this look was hoping for something with a brighter green, so I might try that out next.

    The brushes! Yes. The Sigma brushes are these ones:http://www.sigmabeauty.com/Mrs_Bunny_Essential_Kit_p/bblu.htm

    I definitely recommend them. I bought them at 10% off, but you can usually find a monthly 10% off code for any Sigma products. I don't use the face brushes quite as much, but the eye brushes are awesome.

    The others are from here:http://www.occmakeup.com/brushes.html

    I *quite* like these brushes also. I have the 004, 006 and 008 and I use them all of the time. They're good quality and I plan to replace them should I need to.

    Yay brushes! And yes. Both of these can be bought on the internet! I also just got some new brushes that I'll have review soon. Stay tuned for that. :D

    ReplyDelete