Pages

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Madd Style Cosmetics: Colourful!

Hiiiiii!  :)

The other day I was checking around the Madd Style Cosmetics FB fan page to see what colours the lovely ladies wanted to see used.  The *ever* wonderful Tiffany (yep, the very same one that was one of the original models for MSC!) requested that I use some Frankenberry and I just could not resist her or it (it's a lovely cool-toned light pink).

This was the result:


If you'd like to find out how I achieved this look--please keep on reading!

To begin, gather thee lovely supplies.

Some usual suspects here: Gabriel Color Mascara (in "Black)", MSC Optimus Primer and NYX Eyeshadow Base in "White".  Madd Style Cosmetics piggies (clockwise from the top left): Frankenberry, Radar Love, Nana's Tea Party, Psychic Paper, Book of Spoilers and Graffiti Jungle.  Two white eyeliner pencils (you could do this with one though!).  A fluffy eyeshadow brush, a  pencil brush, a small shadow brush and a couple of eyeliner brushes.

As usual, you want to start with a clean eye.


And then you want to get messy!  :)

First take your two prime weapons, a primer and a base.  Primers will help to even out your eyelid's surface to help the colours apply more evenly.  It will also help your shadows to stay in place and not crease throughout the day.  The white base will help to make the colours really "pop" out!


Using your ring finger, smooth out some of the Optimus Primer along the whole lid and blend it up toward the brow bone.  Similarly, apply the base, but concentrate this on the lid and then blend up slightly into the crease.


Once your lids are prepped, you're ready for colour!  

Taking a fluffy shadow brush, dip it into Madd Style Cosmetics's Frankenberry.  Disperse the colour evenly throughout the bristles by using the inside of the lid as a surface to really "press" the colour into your brush.  Apply this colour to the first third of your lid using a patting motion.  Because I've chosen a fluffier brush--I could do some of the blending as I went along.  I slightly softened the top edge of this colour by sweeping my brush along that line and diffusing it.


Using the same brush, dip into Radar Love.  A gorgeous sparkly pink.  Pat this colour onto the middle of the eyelid.  Blend it into the Frankenberry by patting the Radar Love in toward the Frankenberry.  Because these are two shades of pink, they will pretty much blend themselves!


Again--using the same brush--dip it into MSC's Graffiti Jungle.  Apply this colour at the outer edge of the lid and blend it up slightly into the crease.  You can see that I didn't blend it in towards the inner crease so much as just up and out toward the end of my eyebrow.  If you prefer a darker crease, go for it and bring this colour farther in.  I was going for a "softer" look this time though--so I kept the pinks on the inner lid and the smoky purple at the outer lid.


Lastly...using the same brush (yep!  I know!  This is one magical brush!  It's the GL-3 "Eye Shadow" brush by Royal and Langnickel, if you're curious) dip it into Madd Style Cosmetics's Psychic Paper.  This colour is quickly becoming my most favorite highlight colour.  Mmmmm I love it!  Apply this colour under your brow and blend it down into the pinks and purples to make sure there isn't a harsh line dividing your lid colours to your crease/brow bone area.


Next, apply a white eyeliner pencil to your lower lash line.  This will act as a base for your lower lash line shadows.


Taking a pencil brush, dip it into Graffiti Jungle and apply this colour to the outer 2/3rds of the lower lash line.


Then, using the same brush (wipe it off on some tissue first), dip it into the magical Nana's Tea Party (an amazing blue with a pink duochrome) and apply this to the rest of the lower lash line.  To help diffuse that line, use your finger to soften the edges.


Wipe the pencil brush off again and dip it into Frankenberry and dab a bit of this into the tear duct area to help finish the whole eye off.


Lastly, line your lower waterline with an opaque and creamy white eyeliner pencil.  Then, take a small shadow brush (or an angled liner brush) and dip it into MSC's Book of Spoilers.  A beeeautiful matte blue shade.  Press this colour over the white pencil you applied to your waterline.  Whenever I put a lot of colour on my lower lash line, this is the time that I apply mascara to my lower lash line.  It helps them to stand back out and will help me decide if I want liner on the upper lash line or just more mascara.  Since this look is so neat on the bottom...I decided to even out the playing field a little and went with some winged black liner.  


And here is the result!


The liner I used, for the record, was Inglot's Gel Liner in number 77.

I hope you enjoyed this tutorial!  I had a lot of fun with it.  Something about the blue lower lash line made me love this all even more!  I hope everyone's spring is off to a great start and that you're inspired to dip into some colourful colours like I was.  

Thanks, as always, for dropping by and please let me know if you have any questions or if you have any requests for future tutorials or looks you'd like to see me do.  :)


3 comments:

  1. Woo! I'm glad to hear it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. EyeGraffiti eyegraffiti.blogspApril 25, 2013 at 5:43 AM

    Awesome tutorial and baby pink is so underestimated! I really need to use it soon! I also love the colour combo here!
    And i need to look closer at that nyx primer i think, but recently i've had some primer love over at benefits.... Do you know anything about them?./Azure

    ReplyDelete