Pages

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Madd Style Cosmetics: Glitzy Neutral

Hi Readers!

After my last more "out there" Madd Style Cosmetics tutorial, I wanted to follow it up with a much softer neutral-ish look. And I wanted to showcase my new (and very awesome) Royal and Langnickel brushes so I'd figure I'd do it all in ONE post! :)

If you want to find out how I achieved this look:


Then please--keep on with the reading!

First, gather the supplies!

(Gabriel Color Mascara in "Black", Too Faced Shadow Insurance; Madd Style Cosmetics piggies (clockwise from the top left): Dirty Beats, Birfday Suit, Secret Sinner, Kiss with a Fist and Brown Suga; Flat Liner Brush; Shadow Brush; "Eye Fluff" or Angled Fluffy Blender/Crease Brush; Pointed Crease Brush (or a pencil brush would work too, of course).)

And as always, you want to begin with a clean eye!

(Oooo, clean!)

First, we prime. Here I used my newest primer, Too Faced Shadow Insurance. As you can see in the middle picture, that is how much I use for both of my eyes. I apply this amount (roughly) to my ring finger and then rub my two ring fingers together and then gently spread the product out on my entire eyelid--up to the brow and using whatever is left over to run along my lower lash line and inner tear duct area.


The first step seems like a backwards one. But I begin by applying a liner (with dry pigment) to my upper and lower lash line before adding any lid colour--since I am not going to be applying a base (because I wanted this look to be pretty light), I wanted the lash colour to really stick to the primer. Taking a flat liner brush (the GL-9 Flat Liner from Royal and Langnickel's Silk Green Line), dip it into Madd Style Cosmetics's Dirty Beats (a wonderful rich dark brown with copper red and gold shimmer) and line your upper lash line.


Using the same brush, apply the same colour to your lower lash line.


Now, switch to an eyeshadow brush (GL-3 Eye Shadow brush) and dip it into MSC's Brown Suga (a light brown with light shimmer and a hint of brown and gold glitter). Press the pigment into the bristles of the brush (to avoid fallout) by using the inside of the lid of your pigment--swirl and press the colour into the bristles and then pat the colour on to the first 2/3rds of your eyelid. With the tip of the brush, make sure the Brown Suga goes all the way up to your crease/orbital bone.

(If you look closely (after enlarging) at the third picture, you can see where I stop applying Brown Suga!)

Switch your brush to a crease brush. Here I'm using my "Eye Fluff" (seriously--I've said it before and I'll say it again--the name of this brush tickles me PINK. It's the GL-6, if you're curious!) brush. Dip it into Secret Sinner (a glitzy neutral with pink undertones and lots of red glitter) and swirl your brush around in the inside of the lid--the red glitter will end up all over your face otherwise! Apply this colour to the very outside of your lid--see how I'm really pushing the brush into the eye socket area in that middle picture? The third picture shows the exact placement--before any blending.


Using the same blending brush, blend Secret Sinner in your crease and lightly into the Brown Suga at right where they meet on the lid area. Then, sweep a *little* bit of Secret Sinner under the outside corner of your lower lash line.


If, at this step, you feel you've lost too much of the power of Dirty Beats--feel free to apply more using your flat liner brush! I did! (I did not take a picture though!)

Using this same magical brush--I wiped it off and then dipped it into MSC's Birfday Suit (my go-to neutral matte brow highlight). I applied this first under the the middle part of my brow and then blended the colour out towards the outside part of the brow bone and then also from the middle towards the inner brow bone an down into the duct area.


Lastly, for a little bit of sparkle at the ducts, I used a pointed crease brush (the GL-4 Smudger) and dipped it into MSC's Kiss with a Fist (which was part of the Valentine's Day collection--so it's not available--however, I do remember Mo saying the colour might make it into the permanent collection. If you don't have it, use any sparkly white you might have!). Apply this colour to your duct and blend it out slightly at the lower lash line and slightly up into the inner most part of your eyelid.


Apply mascara and ta-da! You're done!


I hope you enjoyed this tutorial and if you haven't already--be sure to check out Madd Style Cosmetics on Artfire and on Facebook!

As always--if you have any particular MSC colours you're dying to see in action, please let me know! Chances are I have it...:)

Fun fact you didn't know about me: I recently finished reading Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game Tetralogy. I pretty much loved them. The firs three books more so than the whole four books together. They made me cry more than I can remember a series of books making me cry in a LONG TIME! Do you ever cry when reading books? What's the best book you've read recently that brought *you* to tears?!

4 comments: