Pages

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Madd Style Cosmetics: Mango Italian Cream Soda Inspired!

The Madd Style Cosmetics Models got together again this week to decide on a theme for a look we could all do. This week's topic: soda! I haven't had soda in quite some time (5 years almost exactly, actually), BUT when I was a teenager/young adult there was a little cafe in my hometown that I absolutely loved to go to and my favorite thing to get there was the mango Italian cream soda! The drink kind of looked like this:


(I stole this lovely picture from this site: http://www.wikihow.com/Make-an-Italian-Cream-Soda)

I'm not sure what flavor the above drink is in--the mango one I would get was orange-ish similar to this, but it also had a cherry in it! For my look, I came up with this:


To find out the steps I took, keep on reading. :)

The supplies I used:

(Left to Right: NYX Eyeshadow Base in "White"; The All Natural Face Shadow Primer in "Buff"; Barry M Intense Black Mascara; Madd Style Cosmetics piggies (from the white and then clockwise): "White" from the Up in Smoke collection, Strange Potion, Birfday Suit, "Ruby" from the Dark Crystal collection, and Boognish (now discontinued, but the new Rambozo would work out splendidly!!); eyeshadow brush; angled liner brush; slanted brush; Make Up Forever's "Eye Seal".)

Start with clean lids and then prime and apply a base. To read more detail on how I do this very important first step, take a look here. As in my blog explaining this step, I used The All Natural Face primer in "Buff" and then applied NYX Eyeshadow Base in "White" over top of that.


Then, grab an eyeshadow brush. Dip it into your favorite white (since the white I used here was part of a collection that is no longer offered--a good substitute would be Sparkle Motion) and swirl the brush around on the inside of the pot's lid to pack the pigment into the bristles. With a "pat" type motion, apply the colour...pat pat pat...to about the first 2/3rds of the lid. Also, bring the colour down into your duct area. The reason I used this white was because of it's high sparkle factor--I thought that could stand in for the "sparkling" water ingredient of my Italian soda!


Using the same brush and the same swirling into the lid technique, dip into Boognish. Apply this colour on the outside 1/3rd of your lid (as displayed in the middle photograph) and then blend it out and up into the crease. Blend it towards the white as well. To blend, don't use "swiping" motions because this will cause mass glittler loss (OH NO!). No, instead--just like how you pat the colour on to the lid, pat to blend. Gently pat towards the white without putting any new product on to the brush. This will create the nice fade that is displayed in the last photograph.


Because I remembered my Italian sodas having a bit of a pink quality to them--probably because the cherry colouring bled out into the liquid!--I used the same brush and dipped it into Strange Potion. Strange Potion is such a lovely colour--it's an orange with a pink duochrome and depending on what kind of brush you use to apply it, you can bring that pink out more--as you will soon see!! Back to application--I put a bit of Strange Potion on to that same brush and just patted it on to the spot where the white and Boognish blended together.


For the lower lash line, grab an angled liner brush. Dip it into Strange Potion and apply it to the outer half of your lower lash line. (I neglected to take a picture of this step after I finished, but you'll see it in later pictures!) The neat thing about using the angled brush is that with that different amount of pressure, the pink tones in Strange Potion really come out. (The first look picture in this blog really shows how that pink duochrome comes out. Go and take another look at it!)


For a highlight, I chose my new go-to-highlighter, Birfday Suit. It's a matte nude colour and I love applying it with this funny slanted brush that I got from OCC. I dipped the brush into the pigment and dusted it below my brow bone--gently blending it down into the white and Boognish to soften that line at the crease.


For liner I wanted to do something red to represent the cherry that always accompanied my mango Italian cream soda. Using a slanted/bent brush (the one I have is actually a paint brush, but there are makeup varieties of this type of brush as well. I squeezed out a drop of the Make Up Forever "Eye Seal" on to my mixing surface and mixed it with the "Ruby" colour until I got a consistency that I liked. Then I applied it to my upper lid and winged it out a bit at the outside. (I plan to do a more descriptive blog about how I do liner some other time, stay tuned for that!).

Apply some mascara, and then it's complete!!

(Without Flash)

(With Flash)

I hope you enjoyed this tutorial and that you're a little thirstier now than you were when you started reading it. :)

As always, if you have a Madd Style Cosmetics pigment that you want to see me use or you have a particular look in mind that you want to see me do a tutorial on, let me know in the comments section!

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful!!  I love the red liner a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Beth!  The liner was fun, for sure.  :)

    ReplyDelete