Pages

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

March Happiness Project: Day 21

March 21st brings us Day 21 in the Happiness 30 Day Challenge!

Today's topic:


There are many places I would consider a happy place!  But the first one to pop into my mind is a place I've only been to twice.


This is Jenny Edlington's garlic farm in Cawston, B.C..  I had the absolute pleasure of working on this farm for the 2010 and 2011 garlic harvests.  My workplace was awesome enough to put together these trips both years and I excitedly participated both times.  There is nothing quite like watching the sun rise over the valley while you walk out on to the field at 6am and kneel down in the dirt to pull out that beautiful organic garlic. When I did it the first time, I'm certain that it bought tears to my eyes (seriously)..and only because I felt so lucky to be there and because I realized how disconnected I was from my food.  I would work there every summer, if I could.  Sadly, I believe that in 2011, Jenny planted the crop but intends to sell the farm before the 2012 harvest (in fact, the farm may be sold already, I am not sure).  I can only hope that the farming on the land remains organic and that everyone in the future who gets to work there loves it as much as I did.

A happy place indeed it is!

No comments:

Post a Comment